Thursday, April 5, 2012

Summer Internship

Definition: An internship is an opportunity to integrate career related experience into an undergraduate education by participating in planned, supervised work
I've been applying to various internship positions (mostly marketing) for two months now, and so far I have already gathered a few feedback. No, these aren't from multinational corporations like P&G, Unilever, or Nestle. These are from small enterprises that directly help other enterprises or communities, which I find more attractive since they are the ones who need more marketing help. They don't earn millions every month so they can't really afford to hire their own "brand manager"--not that I consider myself one (not yet).


My student society, UP Circle of Entrepreneurs, influenced me largely on pursuing an alternative track besides corporate, and it's really refreshing to not be competing with others aside from yourself. In this marketing industry, you are your own corporation, and I think what most students think about is what the company they will be working for can do for them. I say, why not think about what you can do for the company? I mean, if I got into P&G, they would be marketing my name, in a sense. People will know me because I work in P&G, not because I am me. Okay I admit, who wouldn't want that, right? It's a win-win situation actually, but with this track you'll have to wait two to three years before you can sever and start building your name. It's an attractive path--if you have the luxury of time.


One thing I learned from the ASEANpreneurs conference is to not wait a long time to execute your idea. It is true that there is a right environment for something and a right time for everything, but the important lesson is what you do with the situation. Wait for it to be right or you make it right? I say, do it already! Sure it will hurt, especially the lack of financial support in launching the business idea, but it will be fulfilling. It is part of the challenge anyway.


Full Suite: Minding your business

Now that I'm in my penultimate year, I'm looking for an internship at a company that will teach me the ropes--stuff that an entrepreneur needs to know. Thankfully, I came across Full Suite Inc. and they were looking for a marketing intern this summer. I applied right before I left for the AYLE conference in Singapore and I've been told 2-3 weeks ago that they're expecting me on April 10. I chose this company because they're focused on providing business solutions (e.g. start up, financial, human resources services) to SMEs and in a way, I'll be exposed to all parts of the business, not just marketing. It's a new environment for me and I'm pretty much excited about the tasks I'll be doing not just in this field but also in the whole enterprise activities as well.


It's difficult to make people understand about my internship though, especially when all they want to hear are names of banks and FMCG companies.


I need to make Career: Entrepreneurship happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment