Thursday, April 5, 2012

Enternship: internship at an enterprise

Very few people in my University are interested in this sort of thing: entrepreneurship. In my organization, we have 100 members, but I'm pretty sure that not even half of this number are really into starting an enterprise, let alone understand what it really is. The mindset and passion is something we want to instill--although not really a prerequisite--to each applicant before becoming part of our society.


It's more disappointing to note that even in my college, the College of Business Administration, entrepreneurship is not really that encouraged. Although there are a couple of subjects that we can take if we want to pursue it, I don't think it's enough to actually convince the graduates to start a business of their own or even to join a startup.


Fortunately, a new term has been coined. It's understandable why most graduates will look for an office job and take the corporate track--there is easy money there. Whereas in building your own startup, you have to start from having nothing at all and maybe even rely on a few investors, but not until your first or second year. It's a challenge to take on the path to entrepreneurship, that's why doing it in the summer seems like a very attractive idea to Junior college students. (But not in UP, CBA.)


Enternship is not a typographical error. It is an internship at an enterprise which differs from the usual internship programs offered by corporations in the sense that an enternship lets you work with the CEO of that small company. The environment is much more dynamic and there are a lot of new people to meet and build relationships with.


This summer, I'm enterning at Jacinto & Lirio (J&L), a brand by EcoIngenuity, Inc. I have challenging tasks as well that are more relevant to keeping the business, such as fundraising and awareness campaigns, most especially since J&L is a social enterprise that aims to deevelop the use of water hyacinth into plant leather used for bags and journals.


In fact, I didn't know there was such a word-- enternship. I can pretty much say that I'm an entern, and I'm happy I chose to be one. It's a blessing to be in a line of work that you like and that you're passionate about. It brings out all the positive energy and strengths. This summer is exciting! Not only do I get to work under a Full Suite internship, J&L enternship is also doing me well.


I want more people to understand how important social entrepreneurship is in this generation and make use of the opportunity. I really need to make Career: Entrepreneurship happen soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment